Founders of Google looking Geekys somewhere
It's taken me a long time, but I finally got around to reading the paper Google's founders wrote when they had their search engine up and running.
I haven't seen a similar example from any other startup where their actual process of starting up is written up in so much detail. Obviously it is still quite biased as it is an academic paper which will naturally try to talk up the achievements of the authors.
Just seeing what they did though does impress me. They came up with:
- The whole concept of crawlers
- A new way of storing files on disks
- A programme that could understand web pages
- The pagerank idea (and more importantly the implementation)
- Storing the index in a flexible manner
Also interesting to see they wrote the initial crawler in Python. Been playing around with this recently and it's good to see the best in the business are using this too.